• Italiano It
  • tedesco De
  • Italiano En
  • portoghese PT
img sestiereCastello is the largest of the six sestieri of Venice.

This district developed in the thirteenth century around a naval dockyard on what was originally the Gemini Islands, although there had been small settlements on the island of San Pietro di Castello, also called Isola d'Olivolo, since at least the eighth century. The name of this sestiere derives from the fort that was present here in the early Middle Ages.

Here in Castello, the bishop's seat was located at the Basilica of San Pietro di Castello until 1807, when Napoleon transferred it St. Mark's Basilica. Until that time, the Doge's chapel was only used for special events.

The district became divided between the Arsenale, then the largest naval complex in Europe, and the monasteries in the north of the quarter. It was later altered by Napoleon, who planned what are now the Biennale Gardens, and still more recently, the island of Sant'Elena was created, and land drained at other extremities of this sestiere.

Other attractions in Castello include the School of St. Mark, the Church of Sts. John and Paul, the School of San Giorgio degli Schiavoni, the church of St. George of the Greeks (San Giorgio dei Greci), the Campo Santa Maria Formosa, the Church of la Pietà and the Church of S. Zacchary.
Here is the list of the most important monuments, churches, museums and palaces of the sestiere of Castello
- Chiesa di San Giovanni e Paolo
- Scuola Grande San Marco
- Ospedaletto
- Chiesa di Santa Maria della Fava
- Chiesa di Santa Maria Formosa
- Fondazione Querini Stampalia
- Chiesa di Santa Maria della Visitazione
- Chiesa di San Zaccaria
- Chiesa di San Giovanni in Bragora
- Scuola di San Giorgio degli Schiavoni
- Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Greci
- Chiesa di San Francesco della Vigna
- Arsenale
- Museo Navale
- Chiesa di San Pietro di Castello
- Giardini
 
 

© 2011-2019 | Venice Tour Guide - Max Tessari P. IVA 04062970274 | EMMEPI4WEB SEO Certified Web agency