• Italiano It
  • tedesco De
  • Italiano En
  • portoghese PT
Scuola San Giovanni 
The Great School of St. John the Evangelist (Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista)

The Great School of St. John the Evangelist (Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista) is located near the Friars Church (Chiesa dei Frari) und was founded as a confraternity in 1261.
Thank a donation in 1369 of the "Relic of the Cross" by Philippe de Mezières, chancellor of the Kingdom of Cyprus, the School had increased in importance during the following centuries. The most important architects of Venice were called to build and decorate the building, among them, Mauro Codussi and Giorgio Massari.
With a Napoleonic decree in 1806 the School was withdrawn and its patrimony partly sold.
The great paintings of the 'Oratory' representing the "Miracles of the Cross", by Gentile Bellini, Vittore Carpaccio and others, fortunately remained in Venice and today can be seen at the Gallerie dell'Accademia.
 
 

© 2011-2019 | Venice Tour Guide - Max Tessari P. IVA 04062970274 | EMMEPI4WEB SEO Certified Web agency